Monday 5 May 2014

Calling All Kelly Kapowskis

By Jaskiran Sagoo



Kelly Kapowski and her amazing blow-dry is exactly what I thought of when I saw the mom jeans in Topshop. Straight from the 90’s with its high waist and tapered leg shape, the moment I saw them on my cousin I wanted to immediately jump on a treadmill, flatten my tum and buy a gazillion more crop tops to wear with them (yes I regularly imagine myself in a few scenarios when I see something I love, you do too, don’t lie!).

Fortunately for all you shorties out there, Topshop’s petite range covers so many different colours in mom and boyfriend denim, so I opted for a bleached, super ripped boyfriend pair. What’s the difference between the two you ask? Not a lot! They both have a relaxed look with the mom jean having more structure.

But just to inspire you all (and myself) to ditch those skinnies and try something a little different, I’ve styled my cousin and put together a few photos to show you that mom jeans don’t have to be unflattering and uncool, but a little bit of fun and a change to your usual attire. 

The first look is a crop top. Perfect for a night out, with a pair of chunky, heeled gladiators. You can also dress them up with some strappy stilettos if you’re going for a more polished look. The casual cotton crop is available at most high street shops, and can also be worn down with a denim jacket or a cropped cardigan with converse or sandals.


     

To dress it up even more you can also wear a more structured crop top like this copper one from Zara or a laced one if you’re feeling daring.

   


 If you’re looking at these photos wondering, I really can’t carry of a crop top, try it. Thanks to the high waist and loose-fitting leg shape this denim hides a multitude of sins.
Even so if you’re not impressed with a crop, for a more everyday look try a t-shirt or a fitted jumper.  Cute tops with embellishment allow you to feel not so casual without the hassle of trying too hard whereas loose fitted tops are perfect for when you’re on the go and feeling a little bloated.  Add a pair of trainers to complete the look or some leather flips flops if it’s hot outside.   
   
Just remember denim is fun. It’s a staple item of clothing to wear whenever you want, whether it’s grabbing a bite to eat with your sister or out for a date in a bar. So enjoy it and try something new! If Topshop is not where you usually buy jeans from, other stores and sites such as ASOS, Religion, American Apparel and River Island have stock, so get looking guys!  






No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Templates from pipdig